6.11.2009

A Change of Pace

Did things a little differently tonight. An old friend from home was in town with his girlfriend and we were going to see Rise Against - apparently i was excited as I kept singing their songs all night last night, much to the chagrin of my tired body. Now it is typical me to somewhat stress out about stuff like this and get wound up. I tend to not look forward to going and I get upset about being at the mercy of the whims of others and the bottom line is always my stomach/intestines and how they will feel. So today started off to be one of those days where I was exhausted and didn't feel good but it just changed.

There was no pressure to get to the show. We took our time. I had Anthony's Pizza for dinner and it was heavenly - I'm milk intolerant in case you didn't know. I felt decent and off we went. We had to do some pain in the ass running around and even that didn't bother me. It was nice to have that happen for once. The show was at Red Rocks, which is always interesting when it comes to a Punk band - if people consider Rise Against punk anymore (I Do!).
They played:
Collapse
State of the Union
Re-education Through Labor
Paper Wings
Long Forgotten Sons
The Good Left Undone
Injection
Drones
The Dirt Whispered
Audience of One
Blood to Bleed
Savior
Survive
Blood - Red, White, and Blue
Prayer of the Refugee
Everchanging - Acoustic
Hero of War - with special guest appearance by the violinist from the Flobots
Dancing for Rain
Give it All
Ready to Fall

This was a much needed divergence from their last shows here(back to back this spring). Good times were had by all.

On the way back, we all settled into the post concert mellow whilst driving back from the venue. We played some of our favorite Tool songs as we drove towards one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a long time. Far out over the city and across the Eastern Plains was a raging electric dream, shooting bolts of lighting about with no effort. Brilliants flashes of blue and white lit of the sky every matter of seconds. Small pulses nibbled the clouds, obscure but florescent nonetheless. Forks and licks of lighting would happy dance down to taste the Earth, illuminating past, present and future in the half blink of a tired eye. if only I had my camera ready, I could have timelapsed it and posted later. I really wanted to go to the park and listen to Toll on my iPod while I watched the storm lurk slowly out of town but work early tomorrow wouldn't permit such luxuries. With that I bid you adieu, letting you bask in the tiny image of an all mighty and massive act of nature that I have bestowed upon your mind's eye.

"This body,
this body holding me,
be my reminder here that I am not alone in,
this body,
this body holding me,
feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion."

"With my feet upon the ground,
I move myeslf between the sounds,
and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or
what ever will bewilder me,
what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind,
we may just go where no ones been.
Well ride the spiral to the end,
and may just go where no ones been.

Spiral out! keep going..."

No comments: